Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Easy Fluffy Homemade Bread + Gurin Kitchen Scale Review




I received a Gurin Professional Kitchen Scale to review!  This is the perfect kitchen scale for someone who spends a lot of time in the kitchen.

The scale comes in handy for people who are looking to weigh out their snacks and food for lose or maintain weight. You can easily see how many grams you are eating. You place your bowl on top, and zero out the weight before adding your snacks, so you don't have to do any math.



It displays the weight in grams, fluid ounces, pounds & ounces.  It measures from .05 ounces to 12 pounds 10.8 ounces! The scale has reflective black tempered glass, so it is strong. I did notice the button is very sensitive. it will even turn on if anything is accidentally placed on top of it.

You can purchase the scale on Amazon. Click here to check it out.

I decided to test out the scale by using my "go-to" bread recipe. This recipe is by far my favorite sandwich bread recipe that i have used. This recipe is adapted from Roxana's Home Baking. Homemade bread is a staple in our household. My family loves it and it readily disappears by the morning. I like knowing the ingredients that go into what my family eats, and store bought bread just doesn't cut it. Plus the smell fresh bread leaves your house with is amazing!



This recipe makes one loaf, which is perfect for our small family. 1.6 pounds! You can separate the dough  into two loaves, but we like large slices for sandwiches.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup warm water
1Tbsp dry yeast
4 Tbsp sugar, separated
1 egg
1 tsp salt
4 Tbsp butter, room temperature (I slice it into 1/2 Tbsp)
1/3 cup Lactaid Milk (Regular whole milk is fine, but my son is lactose intolerant)
3 1/2 cups bread flour + extra (I like King Arthur Flour)



First thing is to combine the warm water, yeast, and 2 tbsp of sugar. Leave this in a warm place to proof (5 minutes).

Next, measure out 2 cups of flour. Add the yeast mixture, and cover with 1 cup flour. Add the egg, salt, and sliced butter. With a wooden spoon, mix everything well. It will start looking mushy. but that is perfect. 



Add 1/2 a cup of flour and start kneading the dough in the bowl with your hands. 



Add some flour to your counter top and drop the dough on top. Start forming the dough into a ball. Place it back into the bowl, cover with a paper towel or saran wrap, and let it rise for one hour.



After the dough has risen, punch down the dough into a rectangle shape. Fold the dough like a letter. Place the dough into a buttered bread pan and tuck in the sides. This will result into a smooth top when the bread is done. 



Preheat the oven to 375 F and allow the bread to rise for another half hour. 



Bake the bread for 30 minutes. Allow to cool before cutting into it.  Ok, my family rarely allows it cool down because we LOVE warm fresh bread. But if you want to make perfect slices for sandwiches, your best bet is to allow the bread to cool down. 




So there you have it folks! This is honestly my most used recipe for sandwich bread. I have tried so many recipes, but this has been by far my family's favorite. The texture is perfect for peanut butter & jelly sandwiches, and for meatier sandwiches as well. What is your favorite thing to cook from scratch?




I received one or more of the products mentioned above in return for a review. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...