Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Potato and Split Pea Curry



Every now and then, we like to mix it up. Well.... I like to mix it up. Hubby and Aiden are perfectly happy eating rice every night. I need constant change. Whether that is changing my furniture around every two to three months (Hubby hates this) or switching up our nightly meals. We usually stick to our vegan spaghetti recipe, or rice and beans. Of course this always comes with salad or vegetables on the side. Now that we have moved into our new apartment, I wanted to try something a little different. Indian food.  Honestly, I have never cooked Indian food because we rarely ever eat it. But I've been needing something quick, easy, and healthy. I've been trying to eat more beans, but I've never really liked porotos negros. Black beans seem to be a Spanish staple but in my home country, Chile, it is not even sold. So I have never grown accustomed to those spanish dishes. Now lentils on the other hand are huge in Chile, but I've never really liked them either.


Curry has many benefits; helps alzheimers, blood pressure, and inflammation to name a few. So finding a dish that fit my taste buds was not that difficult since there are so many curry recipes out there. I took my search to Pinterest and found Potato and Yellow Split Pea Curry from Spicie Foodie. I tweeted the recipe a little to make this dish.


Yellow Split Peas are a legume with a significantly high amount of fiber that is rich in Vitamin B. It also is great at helping lower cholesterol levels. So this dish was heaven on Earth to me. What's better? It's Vegan!

Potato & Split Pea Curry



Ingredients
5 medium potatoes
1/2 cup Yellow split pea
1/2 cup Chickpeas
1/2 medium Yellow onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup chopped Spinach
1 large tomato, finely chopped
1 cinnamon stick
2 tsp Jiva Organic Curry
1/3 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp olive oil
4 cups Vegetable Broth + 1 Cup Water
freshly chopped cilantro to taste
1 Cup Adames (optional)

Instructions
1. Soak the Yellow Split Peas and Chickpeas and rinse. Chop up your onion and garlic. Peel your potatoes and chop them up to even cubes.
2. Heat the olive oil and add the onions. After onions are cooking, add the minced garlic. Add the Jiva Curry and the turmeric and cook for two minutes while mixing with the onions. Add the potatoes, tomato, split peas, chickpeas, vegetable stock and water.
3. Stir well, and add a few leaves of Cilantro. Cover for 35 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft. Serve with warm rice  and adames. Decorate with chopped up cilantro.


I used Jiva Organic Curry Powder. The color and taste are completely different than the kind you find in the store. I try to cook as close to natural as possible, so finding a great quality and organic seasonings is really important to me. Now the price is great too! It cost under $10 for a whole pound of curry!



Features

Certified USDA Organic Curry Powder - made from a blend of Organic Indian Spices

All Natural, No Artificial Colors, Flavors or Preservatives

NO salt, NO MSG, NO GMO, NO Ethylene Oxide (ETO) treatment, NON-Irradiated

Product of India - packaged in a double sealed, resealable jar to preserve purity

Perfect for your next curry!


I received this product in return for an honest review. I am not required to give a positive review. All opinions are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...