Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Easy Homemade Flour Tortillas


** Follow me on Facebook for more recipes and fun! **


Over the past few years I have joined a few cooking groups. A few month's ago I joined a cooking group for moms on Facebook and always see new dishes or old favorites all over my newsfeed. This always sparks new ideas in my head and helps me make my menu for the week when writing the grocery list for the week. I've seen all sort of cakes, desserts, dinners, and lunch ideas. The other day I saw some Chicken Quesadillas and all of the sudden, I wanted quesadillas. But we haven't bought any tortillas because they sell for around $4 for a pack of 10! To us, that is ridiculous amount to spend on one item for a simple lunch. I had the urge to make some homemade tortillas. You know, the kind that give your vegan tacos the extra BANG before you even add the extra guac!  I had this recipe stored in my cookbooks for years, so I am not sure exactly where it originated. I've seen some similar recipes through Pinterest, but haven't found the original. All I know is that this is an EASY recipe that works time and time again. You will never buy tortillas again!

Homemade Flour Tortillas

Makes 15 Soft Tortillas (or 25 small ones)


Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups Self Rising Flour
1 Stick of butter (1/2 cup), room temperature
1 Cup of hot water
2 Tsp salt

Directions: 
1. Measure out 2 1/2 cups of flour along with the salt and set aside in a large bowl. Add the butter, and with a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour. It should be crumbly. 
2. Slowly add the hot water and mixing into the dough. Knead dough until it isn't sticky anymore. Leave in the bowl for 30 minutes to an hour.
3. Separate dough into 15 balls. Set aside for another half hour. 
4. Flatten out balls as thin as possible. On a hot skillet, cook each tortilla individually. Bubbles are completely normal. Cook evenly on both sides. 



The BakeItFun Silione Kneading Dough Bag in Action. And what working with 2 square feet of space looks like.
I used a kneading bag for this dough. I didn't know something like this existed. Now I don't have to get my hands all sticky every time I make any type of dough. Have you ever made dough and had some get stuck underneath your fingernails? Good luck trying to get that out! The BakeItFun kneading bag is easy to use, and more importantly, easy to clean! You simply slide the dough inside the bag, zip tie it with one of the two elastic zip ties, and knead through the outside. the dough doesn't stick to the inside of the bag like I thought it would. It simply slides around due to the silicone. You can either make the dough in a bowl before transferring into the bag to knead, or you can do it all in the bag! So for busy nights, I just add it all in and mix. Pretty simple! I don't know how this hasn't come across my radar until now. 


BakeItFun Silicone Kneading Dough Bag


Cost : $10.97


  • ✔ EASY USE & CLEANING: Magic Reusable Silicone Kitchen Dough Kneading Tool Bag prevents flour from splashing everywhere. It's Convenient to use and easy to wash. Wonderful cooking tools for every baker. Measuring approximately 32x23cm, can hold up to 1kg flour or 1500ml liquids.

  • ✔ PERFECT FOR KNEADING & MARINATES: Just add the ingredients such as flour, water, eggs mix all together, tie up the bag and start kneading. For marinating meats or fish, pour ingredients in, tie the bag and pour in fridge. Also can be used for pressing fruit and vegetable, making purée. Can also be used to store foods and bevarages.

  • ✔ DURABLE & RESISTANT: BakeitFun Silicone Kneading Sack resist temperatures from -40°F (-40°C) to 450°F (230°C). The bag can go to the fridge or freezer for marinating or food storage and can also be used with warm liquids such as hot milk or water; The Bag is made of PREMIUM FOOD GRADE SILICONE.

  • ✔ SAFE & NON-TOXIC: Keep your kids safe with best quality available on the market - It's German Food Grade approved, BPA free and FDA safe; BRING YOUR KIDS into the kitchen with joy. The bag is antibacterial tasteless and odorless due to it's material that also provides non-stick and high elasticity. Resists temperatures between -40°C to 230°C. It's microwave, oven and refrigerator safe. Flexible and foldable, saving space on storage.

  • ✔ BACKED by BakeitFun Lifetime Money-back Guarantee: We only sell products that were carefully tested - Buy the best with confidence - love our kneading dough bag or get every penny back, no questions asked, it's that easy.




  • I did not want to make some ordinary quesadillas or tacos, so instead we made a slowcooker enchilada soup. I got the recipe from the Damn Delicious blog. I just changed a few things. For one, I omitted the orzo as that pasta is way too expensive for us! I added a few spices and served it with warm tortillas! It was the perfect combo! 

    Leave some love and comment below with what you would do with some homemade tortillas!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...