Saturday, February 7, 2015

Toddler Sensory: Bedtime Music

Bedtime with babies and toddlers has to be so routine that it is like a ritual. While most families have the regular bath, pajamas, and bedtime story, our bedtime ritual is a little more condensed. When you have a child with sensory problems, you tend to do things a little differently. For example, my son will eat a whole banana, but not if it is cut up for him. This seems to apply to most fruits for him. Bedtime also is a little different. We live in a one bedroom apartment so Aiden's crib is best attached to our bed. Here is our bedtime steps, in order.


Potty time (in the very beginning stages of potty training) and teeth brushing.

Put on night time diaper and light PJs.

Cuddle in bed and talk about our day while Daddy makes Aiden his bedtime milk. (3 oz)

When Daddy brings his bottle we listen to Jammy Jams or read Snuggle Puppy by Sandra Boynton while Aiden drinks his milk.

We then sing a couple Jammy Jams songs while Aiden gets comfortable in our bed with his special blanket.

While Aiden begins falling asleep, I can't move, open my eyes, or touch him or this step will take way longer. Achieve all of this while attempting to cuddle without touching any of his skin or falling asleep yourself. (Aprox. 30 - 90 minutes)

When Aiden is asleep (and most like I fall asleep well) transfer him to his crib with his blanket.




I know what you are thinking. Putting a toddler to sleep shouldn't take so long and shouldn't be so complicated. But this is the only way he falls asleep. And guess what? I wouldn't trade it for the world. Cuddling with Aiden while going to sleep is my favorite part of the day. We "talk" about whatever is one his mind, which is usually Super Why. My favorite part about going to sleep is when he wraps his arm around My neck and pulls me closer for a hug! Ever since I started playing Jammy Jams, i noticed Aiden has been going down to sleep faster. I'm not sure if he recognizes the songs, such as Shake it Off, but it really seems to help.

ABOUT JAMMY JAMS


Jammy Jams’ latest release features lullaby renditions of pop songs currently in the charts. They are available in CD, CD w/ Digital Copy, Album Download Card, Digital Download on their website. Pop Goes Lullaby 4, which is the CD that I have, comes with these songs:

1. Cool Kids (Lullaby Rendition of Echosmith)
2. Shake it Off (Lullaby Rendition of Taylor Swift)
3. Don’t  (Lullaby Rendition of Ed Sherran)
4. All About That Bass (Lullaby Rendition of Meghan Trainor)
5. I’m Not The Only One (Lullaby Rendition of Sam Smith)
6. This is How We Do (Lullaby Rendition of Katy Perry)
7. Me Against The World (Lullaby Rendition of Erica Ashley)
8. Blame (Lullaby Rendition of Calvin Harris)
9. Fireball (Lullaby Rendition of Pitbull)
10. Rude (Lullaby Rendition of Magic!)


So now you can play these songs in your head, or sing them out loud to get your baby or toddler to sleep. I used to sing to Aiden, but for some reason he stopped liking anyone singing. And I don't think it is due to my horrible singing skills, but more to do with his the level of volume. Playing a a lullaby rendition of Meghan Trainer is much better received.

How do you put your toddler or baby to sleep?

I received this product in return for an honest review. I am not required to give a positive review. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...